Let's Learn About Some Great Saints
Learn about some of the greatest heroes that ever lived with a project that focuses on the Holy Saints, some of whom are recognized as Doctors of the Catholic Church.
This project includes templates and prompted eight-page mini-books to highlight and have children discover God's holy heroes, the Saints.
The mini-books included in this unit highlight the following saints:
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
St. Gregory the Great
St. Francis of Assisi
St. Anthony of Padua
St. Joseph of Cupertino
This project also contains five multicolor keepsake pages (left and right pages) and one cover.
The finished project contains spaces for the sixteen books of the specified saints above plus two keepsake pages for learners to select four Saint books focusing on the doctors of the church.
There are sixteen individual .PDF files in this project. They are all contained within one zipped file (.zip) to reduce download time and bandwidth usage for our members. This file can be saved and then opened from your local drive.
There are five basic steps to complete this unit study.
1. Download the Unit. It is a zipped file, and you will need to unzip it as it contains many files, including the mini-books, instructions, listings of the Doctors of the Church, Keepsake memory pages and unit cover sheet.
2. Print out the individual files. Instructions are given on the first page of the unit file. Books should be printed on regular paper. Memory pages are designed to be printed double-sided on cardstock but will work single-sided as well. We use cardstock so that when our little books are attached the pages will be sturdy.
3. Assemble the Unit Pages. Bind memory pages using a comb binder, 3 ring binder, duo tang, metal brads, or other binding of choice.
4. Create the Mini-Books. Have children create books through writing and/or drawing as they learn from resources from your own home, your parish library, the local library, the Internet, textbooks, videos, etc. about the highlighted saints.
The printable mini-books in this unit study are prompted and require learners to research and fill in basic information about the featured Saint, including such things as when and where they lived, their patronage, special symbols, and when we may find their intercession necessary and helpful.
Feel free to let learners take real ownership of their projects by allowing them to make it as fancy as they like using colored pencils, crayons or other art supplies. A good dictionary and thesaurus are great tools to give them as well as they encourage the use of new vocabulary and accurate spelling.
5. Attach the Mini-Books. Affix mini-books to the keepsake pages in their proper place. There is a designated spot for each book. In some units, you are free to rearrange the order of the keepsake pages to meet your family's needs. Be certain to mark the date in as well as your learner is sure to come back to this finished project over and over.
This project can be done over the course of a week, month or year to add variation to usual religious education lessons at home or in the formal classroom. In a class setting, you may want to assign each learner an individual saint mini-book to complete and keep the completed project for class reference or for visitors to see.
Additionally, learning outcomes that require research to be done using multiple resources can easily be met with this printable project on the saints.
If you have an over-sized wall map, you may want to incorporate your geography studies into this project by marking your map with all the places that saints were born, died or had adventures, or performed miracles using map pins color coded to match particular Saints. Remember to mount your map to a bulletin board before using your map pins.
Need more mini-books? See our entire collection of Saint Mini-Books.
Theme: Saint Mini-Book Unit Study, Doctors of the Church
|File Size||1.25 MB|
|Create Date||August 14, 2013|
|Category Tags||Geography Mini-book Project Saint St Anthony of Padua St Cecilia St Elizabeth Ann Seton St Elizabeth of Hungary St Francis of Assisi St Gregory the Great St Joseph of Cupertino St Nicholas St Roch St. Christopher|
|Popular Categories||Mini-Book Unit Study, Saint Mini-Books, Saints|
|McAfee Certified Site|