“Oh, how sad and sore distressed was that Mother highly blest of the sole Begotten One!” – Stabat Mater Dolorosa Verse
September Is the Month of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows centers around seven different sorrowful events witnessed by the Blessed Virgin Mary during the earthly life of her son, Jesus. During the month of September, the Church reminds us to reflect on these events and bear witness to God’s love and mercy.
The events included in the Seven Dolours (sorrows) witnessed by Our Lady are:
- Hearing prophecy of Simeon;
- Taking flight into Egypt;
- Losing the Child Jesus in Jerusalem;
- Meeting Jesus on his way to Calvary;
- Standing at the foot of the cross during Christ’s crucifixion;
- Receiving the body of Christ as it was taken down from the cross;
- Burying Jesus in the tomb.